Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Paper Clay Therapy




I'm very cranky and grouchy today so I thought I'd channel my miserable mood into something constructive.
This is my first attempt at a paper clay bowl. I used the pinch-pot method because I like how imperfect they turn out. Like Suki, I definately lean towards wabi-sabi things in life.

I love the colors in this because they remind me of Monterey. And that's the reason I chose to paint an abalone shell inside, another thing reminiscent of the place where I spent sixteen glorious years. Well, mostly glorious!
I finished off the dish with gold leaf around the lip and a bit over the inside and outside edges. I'm happy with how it turned out, especially for my first attempt. And it took hours!
Good therapy for one old cranky-pants lady :)

I've listed it on Etsy. We'll see what happens!

The book shown in the Etsy photos is "Monterey Peninsula: A Cypress Shore" with photos by Gary Geiger.

11 comments:

  1. Well I am joining you in a complete, utter, cranky-pants day!!! But I had other work to do (as in, NOT ART) so I'm really cranky!
    You have something lovely to show for your day, and I don't want to think how long that took....
    LOVELY!

    XXOO~~♥
    The Grinch

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty Laurel. I love it and am jealous of the lucky person who will be buying it. Wish I could but just can't at this moment. $$$$ by Summer will be looking a lot better though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I love this totally. To be able to paint a shell like you do. I thought at first glance you had placed a real shell in there.

    I am not so much cranky as tired and so bloody cold after days of wind up on this hill making it so cold to go outside even when it's forty degrees, sort of warmish comparatively. Hmm, maybe I am cranky after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. I love abalone shells. It looks so real. I think we are so sick of Winter we are all getting cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you do great work when your pants are cranky. my friend just got back from Monterey, so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful Lolo.The colors are perfect. I like the touch of gold too. I can see you stretching out your art form with this clay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty bowl. I've never tried paper clay. I love the abalone shell inside. You did good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lo! this is so pretty! oh my gosh your 'cranky pants' mood is creative!

    i hope the day got better and your happy with your lovely bowl. that color and the shell is really beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really really pretty! I hope it got you out of your doldrums. I think you must be missing California! I'm so sorry we did not decide to meet while you were still here. I know the distance between our cities was a stretch, but still...should have done! Kicking self, kicking self!!!
    Good luck with sales!
    I sold a single postcard today on Zazzle! Whoopdi do!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knew what happened.....
    What a little treasure!!!!!!

    LOVE it!
    >M<

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear you are feeling out of sorts - but glad that you made something so pretty!

    ReplyDelete